Rinzler

Application Details for DMs

"What the heck is this West Marches stuff?" you may be asking yourself.  

West Marches style games are a way to help with prep-time as it puts some of the decision-making in the hands of the players. They will announce when they want to play from a selection of available time slots and what they want to do or explore. Then, the DM who has the free time for the proposed time slot will take the aforementioned party on the requested adventure.

I have linked some more details for those who are interested.

https://rollplaywestmarches.fandom.com/wiki/The_Rules

If you are looking to be a DM for this style of game, leave an application for me to review.   More about me here.

Please read through the expectations before addressing the topics below.

• I will be on time for games, every session.
  • I will communicate clearly and in a timely manner, any schedule abnormalities, or other issues.
  • I respect all players equally.
  • I will be thoroughly prepared for each session.
  • I will be fair in my rulings.
  • I will work to give each character opportunities throughout sessions to shine.
  • I will listen to player feedback and tailor the gaming experience to the group's desires.
  • If you are reading this far then put ":)" at the top of your application.

If the expectations above can be met, please submit an application addressing the following topics.

• Dungeon Mastering Experience
  • Campaign Ideas for Chult
  • Rate yourself from a scale of 1(my cat) to 10(Matt Mercer)
  • Will you be able to make weekly games on time?
  • How do you handle (or expect to handle) conflict at the table?
  • Do you have a good internet connection?
  • Do you have a good microphone?
  • Would you prefer playing with or without video?
  • What is your gaming schedule? Please be as specific as possible.
  • Any other questions or concerns?

🙂

• Dungeon Mastering Experience - I have Played since the early 80s.  I have DM/Refereed since about the same time, with many games (D&D, Cyberpunk, Star Wars, Star Trek, etc.).  This has happened in spurts, as life can get busy.  The good news is my kids are pretty much grown and I have time to fill.  My weakness is the app we are using and getting comfortable with it so the behind the scenes is smooth.  In addition I still need to learn some of the 5e rules and get a little more comfortable with them, luckily the app helps keep that on track.  
  •  
  • Campaign Ideas for Chult - Yes and could come up with a few more once I know more of what is behind the scenes.   
  •  
  • Rate yourself from a scale of 1(my cat) to 10(Matt Mercer) - 5 or 6.  My strength is rules, managing combat, plot generation, flexibility & fairness.  My weakness is Voice RP of main NPCs and such.
  •  
  • Will you be able to make weekly games on time? - Yes
  •  
  • How do you handle (or expect to handle) conflict at the table? - Be fair, be firm, be consistent.  Fun is the driving force.  I rarely kill off PCs.  they have to earn it or the fates are at play (i.e. the dice Gods).  
  •  
  • Do you have a good internet connection? - Yes
  •  
  • Do you have a good microphone? - Yes
  •  
  • Would you prefer playing with or without video? - Either is fine
  •  
  • What is your gaming schedule? Please be as specific as possible. - Fairly open.  primary gaming time would be 7pm-1am EST on Weekdays, Afternoons and evenings on weekends.  I could handle 2 sessions a week once I got comfortable, maybe 3, time will tell.    
  •  
  • Any other questions or concerns? -
  • Time frame of implementation? 
  • Number of sessions you would like to see ran per week combined for all DMs? 
  • Total # of DMs you would like?  
  • What are your thoughts on Assistant DMs?
  • What are your thoughts on using members to RP certain main NPCs?  

🙂

Experience as a DM: Admittedly, not much about 2.5 years. I have run d6 based games like Honey Heist, and Masks, as well as running D&D games for low to mid level characters.

Ideas for Chult: Going to find and defeat ghosts, attempting to get information from a fey, diplomacy missions to form alliances with nearby factions, dealing with a group of highway bandits.

Rate yourself: I would say about a 4. I'm getting better, and sometimes greatness shines through, but not always.

Can I be there on time. I'll do my best, but yes barring the unforseen.

How do I handle conflict at the table: It depends on the conflict, usually I will address the parties involved directly,, with a kind but direct manner..

Internet: yes

Microphone: reasonable, but could be better

Video: I can do and enjoy both

Schedule: At the moment, Wednesday and Thursday from 5pm to 10pm, Saturday from 8am to 5pm and Sundays from 8 am to 10pm (all times Central Time)

This schedule will be changing within a month and I will be update it when I get my new work schedule.

Questions and concerns:

1) Will I be able to draw from non D&D sources to enrich my missions?

• 🙂
  • Dungeon Mastering Experience: Just over one year of 5e, Typically I run 3 games a week.
  •  
  • Campaign Ideas for Chult: I have a few ideas, mostly surrounding the undead stuff as well as some neighboring tribes of sort, but we would discuss all of that of course.
  •  
  • Rate yourself from a scale of 1(my cat) to 10(Matt Mercer): I would say a 5, I have some work to do for sure but most players I have had enjoy my games. Typicaally after every session I ask layers to privately send me one thing they liked, one thing they didn't like and one thing they would like to see next session and I think that has helped me grow a lot.
  •  
  • Will you be able to make weekly games on time?: Absolutely, and if I can't I will make sure to give at least 24 hours notice.
  •  
  • How do you handle (or expect to handle) conflict at the table?: I think that calm discussion in private is the way to solve conflict between players, in character conflict I think is ok to some extent as well, as long as it makes sense and doesnt go too far.
  •  
  • Do you have a good internet connection?: Yes
  •  
  • Do you have a good microphone? I have my usual mic, but if that one is not good for any reason I do have a recording quality mic.
  •  
  • Would you prefer playing with or without video? I have never played with video, but I would love to try it at least once!
  •  
  • What is your gaming schedule? Please be as specific as possible. Free all the time from 12 pm pst- 4 am pst, except Wednesday and Sunday, Sunday I can do mornings 12 pm pst- 5 pm, and not available at all Wednesday.
  •  
  • Any other questions or concerns?
  • Was curious on rules for monsters, there are a couple monsters that I have in mind for some quests that are not 5e but could be updated, would this be something you would consider?
  • I would also be curious to hear the answers to Macki's questions.
  • All my other questions are function related and would be answered during dm training.

🙂

Dungeon Mastering Experience: I've DMed for some friends on and off for 2years. Don't have a lot of experience but I'm eager to learn and try.

Campaign ideas for Chult: Given some details about what is going on behind the scenes i could come up with some and run them by you.

Rate yourself from a scale of 1(my cat) to 10(Matt Mercer): I'm probably a 4 as I lack experience. I know a lot about the books and rules for combat. 

How do you handle (or expect to handle) conflict at the table: Should conflict arise, I think it best to be handled privately outside of the session. Conversing between the 2 parties at disagreement. Be it DM and pcs, or, pc and pcs. Maybe take a break and talk the about what's wrong.

Do you have a good internet connection: Typically yes.

Do you have a good microphone: I believe so. If not, I would be willing to acquire a new one.

Would you prefer playing with or without video: I prefer without, but im willing to try with video once i get a camera.

What is your gaming schedule? Please be specific as possible: Sun-Fri after 4pm. Given enough time (a week) I should be able to make any session

Any other questions or concerns:

What are your expectations for other DMs?

🙂

Dungeon Mastering Experience: I haven't DM'd since I was like 12 years old but I feel like I have a solid grasp of most 5E mechanics from lots of player experience.

Campaign Ideas for Chult: Exploring the ruins and ancient history of Chult. Recurring antagonists of some sort (Red Wizards, Vampires or a Pirate faction?). A Mega Dungeon somewhere near-ish to town that descends deep below Chult and gets more challenging the further down parties go, with the keys to open each floor scattered throughout the peninsula and found over the course of unrelated expeditions.

Rate yourself from a scale of 1(my cat) to 10(Matt Mercer): 5? I couldn't say until I've tried. I have lifelong experience/interest with writing and game design.

Will you be able to make weekly games on time?: Outside of work I don't have too many time commitments at the moment. Anything that's scheduled in advance I can be counted on to show up on time.

How do you handle (or expect to handle) conflict at the table?: A dispute between players is better handled outside of the session if possible with the DM mediating if needed. If a player disputes a DM call, hear them out but don't let it bring the session to a halt, discuss with them afterwards if they would like.

Do you have a good internet connection? Yes

Do you have a good microphone? Yes

Would you prefer playing with or without video? Fine either way. I think voice only may be smoothest for getting a big group of players into the game quickly.

What is your gaming schedule? Please be as specific as possible: I work 9-5 eastern time weekdays and currently have commitments Mon, Tue, Thurs and Fri nights. I'd be looking to maybe do one run a week to see if this is something I'm any good at and could maybe expand to 2 a week, they'd likely be evening sessions.

Any other questions or concerns? How would DMs coordinate with each other to make sure they stay up to date with big events going on, don't put their locations of interest in conflicting spots, etc?

🙂

• Dungeon Mastering Experience:  Probably around 10 years

• Campaign Ideas for Chult: Would be interested in running a few locations, starting with moderately sized dungeon

• Rate yourself from a scale of 1(my cat) to 10(Matt Mercer): Eh, not a fan of Mercer but he knows how to entertain. On this scale I guess I am a 3 or 4. I think GM should be mostly a worldbuilder and an arbiter. Someone that enables players to experience the world where they can thrive or die due to their own actions. A world where you can be proud of your characters accomplishments but also one where bad decisions or unfortunate dice rolls can mean the end of your story.

• Will you be able to make weekly games on time? I sure will do my best to keep run scheduled games on time.

• How do you handle (or expect to handle) conflict at the table? Generally the best way to handle conflicts is to talk about it with the involved people. In case of running game that obviously is not always possible. In case of rule problems this should be solved with a temporal ruling that then should be discussed with the other GMs and the player afterwards. Interpersonal stuff should be solved after the game.

• Do you have a good internet connection? Yes

• Do you have a good microphone? Got a decent headset.

• Would you prefer playing with or without video? Guess either would work fine.

• What is your gaming schedule? Please be as specific as possible. Friday + Saturday starting from 2:30 pm. Shorter 2 hour session would also be possible on any other day.

• Any other questions or concerns? My family size recently increased so my schedule might change in a few month.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.